|Students at Lycée National in Quanaminthe, Haiti|
A Book Drive for Haiti
The Verona High School French Club, along with high school librarian Ms. Maria Mayo, will be hosting a Book Drive for children in Haiti starting on October 16th, 2017.
Children’s Library: Project Details
Mr. Evans Auguste, the sponsor for the building of a brand new library in Haiti, had reached out to Ms. Mayo in order to participate in fundraising to develop their children’s library. The French Club, Mrs. Eugenie Mordkovich, along with Ms. Mayo and the VHS community, has offered their support for Mr. Auguste’s mission.
Mr. Evans Auguste and fellow co-workers visited Haiti in January 2017 in order to provide necessities such as clothes, toys, shoes, and school supplies to underprivileged children. The volunteers began to realize that not only were their donations not addressing long term effects for Haiti, but also that the children’s interests seemed to gravitate towards books rather than any other items that were donated.
Mr. Evans Auguste and his co-workers decided that in order to make a long-lasting impact for the education system in Haiti, they would take on the challenge of building a new school library in the town of Ouanaminthe, located in the northern region on Haiti, with the help of local and international organizations which intervened in Haiti.
If you would like to learn more about the project, the school, and other donation efforts you may access the information here.
The primary organizations helping with the construction of the library are CLES, (Collectif de Lutte Contre l’Exclusion Sociale), also known as Group Against Social Exclusion and Educa Vision, who will donate library supplies, as well as design, develop, and distribute education materials, respectively.
Over the past 10 months, Auguste has received the help of individual donors as well, and has gained almost 500 books and over $2,000 to help fund the construction and fulfillment of the library.
How to Help
- If you would like to contribute to the Book Drive, the French Club and Ms. Mayo will be collecting new and gently used children’s books (ages 5-12) in English, French, and Spanish.
- Collection boxes will be located at the VHS lobby, the VHS Learning Commons, and all school libraries in Verona.
Online Book Store
- We are also partnering with Educa Vision, Inc, a Florida-based of multicultural and multi-lingual educational materials.
- Educa Vision will provide and ship multilingual books directly to the library at Ouanaminthe
- To learn more, and if you would like to contribute any amount of money to be used toward the purchasing of a multilingual book, please visit http://educavision.com/make-a-gift to make a donation.
- Ms. Mayo, Mrs. Mordkovich, and the French Club